Healthcare businesses dealing with cancer patients must be both effective and profitable while adhering stringently to radiation oncology billing guidelines. Perioperative Services offer unmatched expertise, cutting edge software, and educational resources that help practices effectively meet those goals without sacrificing patient care. Our team comes equipped with specialized experienced in this highly sensitive area of medicine and understands how to emphasize the importance of treatment without sacrificing practice reimbursement.
Periop’s team of billing professionals understand the fundamentals of all radiation treatment services including:
- radiation burn treatment
- internal radiation therapy
- stereotactic radiotherapy
- radiation therapy technology
- external beam radiotherapy
- chemotherapy radiation
- radiation vs chemotherapy
- radiation treatment for lung cancer
- radiation proctitis treatment
Radiation therapies and coding
At Periop, we strive for efficiency and accuracy to provide up-to-the-minute compliance with all the latest billing and coding changes in radiation oncology. Our systems include both professional components (PC) and technical components (TC). To that end, we regularly update those systems in accordance with the latest guidelines and technologies.
For example, our team is closely monitoring the recent developments in radiation treatment services that will require dramatically new coding requirements in the coming months. Such radiation treatment services include:
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Stereotactic Radio Surgery (SRS)
- Stereotactic Radiation Therapy (SRT)
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
- Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI)
With new radiation technologies constantly in development, coding guidelines are becoming increasingly more complex. For healthcare professionals using substandard management software, this means precious time lost to administration. Periop’s billing services bring your billing compliance and efficiency in line with your medical expertise by managing planning and treatment delivery codes.
We provide a clear, concise program that follows radiation oncology billing guidelines without denying patients any phase of treatment they need. Our team applies the latest codes from the initial consultation through physician planning, simulations, CT guidance, daily treatment delivery, ultrasound set-up, weekly physician management, special treatment, and any other practice-specific requirements you require.
Our technology manages all the latest radiation treatment services available and takes into account every nuance that left unchecked, could result in non-compliance, reimbursement denials, and a prolonged appeals process that will ultimately tie up your RCM. Periop remains out in front of these issues for you.
Some notable examples include:
- Two reporting codes are generally used for most IMRT technologies (77301 for planning, 77418 for treatment delivery). Such is not the only discrepancy to look out for. Other distinguishing codes apply with regard to Medicare and Medicaid providers and freestanding clinics.
- TomoTherapy has taken IMRT further by reducing unnecessary irradiations to organs at risk. It is one of the emerging technologies that has yet to be given its own coding guidelines, instead adopting the existing codes for other IMRT treatments. As this new therapy becomes more widely used, coding will also likely evolve.
- Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI) is another revolutionary oncology treatment. It targets a specific area surrounding the tumor rather than the entire breast. It is delivered within 4-5 days, rather than the 5-6 weeks taken over other radiation treatment services for breast cancer. Coding varies from carrier to carrier, so it’s crucial that healthcare centers stay on top of the latest coding news.
Periop’s revenue cycle management system will update in line with every single coding change that may apply to these examples, and so much more.